Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Oscar Scheller talks about trying to make his unique sound and his biglove for rollercoasters


Saturday the 24th of October on a sunny day in the middle of Autumn I went on a trip with my camera, a couple of questions and my best mood. On my way to my favourite place in Brussels, Le Botanique. The perfect place to be to have a chat with melody-maker, mover and shaker, Oscar Scheller. The indie dreamboat who has been working for his place in the spotlights for a long time now. His dreamy lyrics and dancing tunes have finally brought him on a tour around Europe. We had a talk with him about his love for rollercoasters and his upcoming album.




It’s not your first time playing in Belgium but your first time here at the Botanique? Glad to be back after a couple of months?
Oscar: Yes for sure! We’ve only just arrived but the venue looks pretty great. An amazing location and such a beautiful garden. Very impressive!

As Gengahr’s supportact you’re going to see a lot more concert venues these weeks. Are you a bit excited to conquer Europe?
Oscar:
Definitely! Ready and willing!

A couple of months ago you already played in Belgium, at Pukkelpop festival. Something you really looked forward to?
Oscar:
My aunt lives in The Netherlands and when I was still a little boy my cousins always went to Pukkelpop. So I had heard about it already. When I found out I was playing it was sort of a strange dream coming true. I played at 11 in the morning on the mainstage, which was really early. Very exciting though, I’d love to go back again some time. But maybe play a little later in the day?

With some family living in The Netherlands I assume that you speak a little bit of Dutch?
Oscar:
I know some basics like ‘Hey, hoe gaat het?’ and ‘Hoe gaat het op school?’. But mostly just rude things which I’m not going to say to you.

Loads of music blogs and magazines have compared  you to a very long list of big names like Morrissey, Beirut, Depeche Mode, Interpol, Ian Curtis, Damon Albarn, David Bowie and I could still go on…
Oscar: Woah, that’s a very long and impressive list indeed! And such incredible musicians, I’m honoured.

Is it important for you to be compared with such great artists or would you rather just be know for you with your own individual sound?
Oscar:
People are going to be comparing you with others bands. That’s something you have to accept. And to be compared with such bands and artists isn’t the end of the world. I still think I’m different from them of course.

What can we expect on your upcoming debut album?
Oscar:
It’s going to be varied. A little bit like my record collection, which is a lot of different genres. It still has to be about the songs. Style and production are the things that just come after that. It’s going to be poppy, punchy, vibey and a lot of other “y’s”. Hopefully also emotional so people can identify with everything I do.

On which day do we have to run to our local record store to pick up your very first album?
Oscar: Somewhere next year. 26th of February to be exact.

I also hear that you are a big fan of amusement parks, especially Walibi here in Belgium. Are you going to spend your day off tomorrow there, testing all the rollercoasters?
Oscar: I wish! Tomorrow we’re travelling to Amsterdam where we play on Monday. But yes, I’m definitely a big fan of rollercoasters. When I was still little I wrote down my experiences from all the different theme parks I went to. Then I would rate all their rollercoasters and give them stars out of five. Yeah, I was very into rollercoasters!

Later that nights Oscar gave the very best of himself in the tiny Rotonde. Happy pop songs with all a fair dose of feelings like Beautiful Words and Daffodil Days did great on stage. A solid live show that blew  for the people who came early off their socks. At some moments it even turned into a small dancing party. His first time in Brussels was a big hit if you ask me. Hopefully we see him back soon somewhere in little Belgium!

No comments:

Post a Comment